In order to import animals to China, two vaccinations against rabies must be administered, with an interval of at least 30 days between the first and second vaccination. The recommended date for blood sampling to determine the titer of rabies antibodies is no earlier than the 2nd rabies vaccination (it can be the same day or anytime after).
Quarantine Exemptions for Imported Animals:
Animals from New Zealand, Australia, Fiji Islands, French Polynesia, Hawaii, USA, Guam, Jamaica, Iceland, Great Britain, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Cyprus, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Macau are all considered safe for importing to China without the need for quarantine, as long as the animals have undergone the appropriate quarantine procedures in their origin countries.
- The animal must pass the inspection upon arrival.
- If the animal has no valid quarantine certificate or rabies vaccination stamp, it will be returned to the country of origin or euthanized.
- Animals that have not undergone microchipping are quarantined for 30 days.
Animals imported from countries or regions not on the list of safe quarantine, but which have a laboratory report confirming rabies antibodies and have passed quarantine procedures in the country of export, may be allowed in.
- The animal must be physically healthy upon examination at the point of arrival.
- If a valid quarantine certificate or rabies vaccination mark is not available, the animal will be returned to the country of origin or euthanized.
- If a microchip and rabies antibody titer test are not available, the animal will be quarantined for 30 days.
- The laboratory's examination report for the presence of rabies antibodies is valid for one year from the date of testing. If repeat vaccinations have been administered during that period, the results of the original lab report remain valid.
Pets that do not require quarantine are allowed to enter ports of the PRC.
However, pets that require quarantine procedures must be imported through ports equipped with the necessary quarantine sites.
In the case of an animal that requires quarantine being imported to a port that is not equipped with a quarantine facility, the animal will be returned at the carrier's expense or euthanized within a limited period of time (7 days).
For more detailed instructions on the import of pets to China, please refer to the following link: http://www.customs.gov.cn/customs/302249/302266/302267/2167536/index.html
Required Documentation for Importing Animals to China:
Customs and Flight
At present, Guangzhou Airport is not among the locations offering appropriate quarantine measures for animals. Starting May 1, 2019, animals can no longer be accepted for transportation to Guangzhou without the required certificates from authorized countries and analysis for rabies antibody titer.
Quarantine Checkpoints in China:
- Beijing Capital International Airport
- Beijing West Railway Station
- Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport
- Shanghai Railway Station
- Shanghai International Passenger Transportation Center
- Uzun International Seaport
- Urumqi International Airport
- Alashankou checkpoint in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.