Travelling to Belarus with Pets
The process of bringing pets to Belarus can be done using a range of transport options. It is possible to enter Belarus via air, railways, or road. Additionally, since both Russia and Belarus are a part of the Customs Union, it's essential to take cognizance of several requirements related to pet importation.
Preparations for the Journey
The essential document for bringing your pet to Belarus is a Pet Passport. This document includes information on your pet's health and its vaccination records. In order for your pet to safely travel to Belarus, their Pet Passport should contain the following information:
Customs and Flight
Your pet must pass a veterinary inspection at Russian and Belarusian border control. Inspectors require your pet's passport and the animal itself to confirm its state of health. With all the necessary documents, you will smoothly enter Belarus. It's to be noted that every animal entering Belarus needs to be registered with the local veterinary authorities within a month after arrival.
Pet shipment regulations vary depending on the type of animal. Here are some requirements for animal transportation by car:
- While crossing the border of Belarus, your pet should remain in the kennel and travel in the trunk of the vehicle.
- Every car must have a first aid kit with both tranquilizers and regular medication for animals.
If you are planning to travel by train, it's recommended to check if there are any specific requirements for passengers traveling with pets beforehand. Most trains traveling between Russia and Belarus offer wagons for people with pets. Regardless of the wagon type, the pets must stay inside their kennels throughout the entire ride.
Airline pet rules differ among different airlines. Here are the requirements set by "Belavia" for pet transportation:
- Prior approval from the airline is required for pet travel.
- The animal must be kept in a special kennel made of durable materials with air vents and a leak-proof base.
- Passengers are allowed to take pets with them into the cabin as hand luggage, with the pet kennel dimensions meeting the requirements for animal transportation and not exceeding the limits for hand luggage. The total weight, including the kennel, shouldn't be more than 8 kilos.
- Total weight of pets in the cargo section should not exceed 23 kilograms, including the kennel.
- As specified by «Belavia» airline, the transportation of your pet is a paid service. Please review the official website of the airline for detailed information on the prices and fees associated with pet transportation.
«Belavia» has rules in place regarding the age of animals allowed for transportation. The airline states that it does not accept pets under 3 months old. This is because a vaccination is required, and your pet must be at least 12 weeks old to receive the needed shot. Without this vaccine, your pet poses a potential risk to other animals.
Is it possible to transport my pet for free?
The transportation of your pet for free is only granted for private transportation. Any other forms of transport (e.g. plane or train) provide animal transportation solely as a paid service.
Procedure for Customs Control: How is it done at the Russian and Belarusian Border?
Since Russia and Belarus are a part of a shared customs union, travelling between the two countries does not usually require a thorough border inspection. However, that does not remove the necessity of having the required documents. Upon arrival in Belarus, animals must be registered with the local veterinary services within one month of arrival. All animals require a Pet Passport, complete with necessary stamps proving the completion of all required vaccinations.