Traveling with Pets to Spain
Spain is a member of the European Union, which means that animals can be imported under its regulations. It's crucial to be mindful of this fact when planning a trip and familiarize yourself with the relevant regulations to avoid any possible issues at the border control point.
Preparing for the trip
In order to import animals to Spain, you must present certain documents along with your pet. If you are not transporting the animal for training or participation in a sporting event, you are allowed to bring up to five (upon obtaining permission from the airline).
Customs and Flights
If your pet is entering Spain via air transportation, you will require to undergo a veterinary inspection at your departure airport. Inspectors will carefully examine your animal and assess their overall health. In order to clear customs, you must present all of the documents mentioned earlier.
Requirements for bringing domestic animals to Spain via air travel are primarily determined by the airline company. As an example, Iberia, the leading national airline, establishes the following requirements for shipping domestic pets:
- The animal must be at least 15 weeks old.
- The overall weight of the animal, plus its kennel, must not exceed 12 kg.
- A passenger can either fly with a child or a pet kennel, but not both at the same time.
- Passengers traveling with animals should choose a window seat, but cannot sit in the emergency exit rows.
- The overall weight, along with the kennel, of a flying animal should not exceed 75 kg, according to the airline's regulations.
- Two animals can be transported in one kennel if their behavior is not aggressive and the space is sufficient for comfort.
- Inform the airline upon purchasing tickets if you wish to take pets onboard the aircraft. If the number of animals exceeds the limit or the configuration of the airplane does not allow for animal transportation, the airline may deny the privilege.
- Pay the fees after obtaining confirmation through the airline's designated online services.
If you plan to import animals into Spain, keep in mind that many European budget airlines don't allow pets on board.
How do I select a checkpoint for entering Spain by car to ensure compliance with regulations about the importation of animals into the country?
From the list of all border checkpoints available, select the one that includes phytosanitary and veterinary controls to ensure seamless passage with your pet.
Can I bring two cats in separate kennels in the cabin as hand luggage?
Each individual airline has its own policies regarding animal transportation. However, if there's enough space and the animals don't exhibit aggressive behavior, both cats can be shipped in a single kennel on most flights.
Are service dogs allowed in the plane's cabin?
According to the regulations for bringing animals into Spain, service dogs that assist visually- and hearing-impaired passengers can travel in the passenger plane's cabin, provided there has been a presentation of a certificate confirming the animal's appropriate training.