Bringing Pets to Serbia
Although Serbia is not a member of the European Union, it is often treated as a transit country for further travel into the EU and is also a popular destination for tourists and real estate investors, particularly from Russia. To avoid any potential difficulties with the animal importation process, travelers should comply with the following requirements and have a packet consisting of the specified documents. Use this information to ensure a smooth and pleasant journey with pets to Serbia.
The international veterinary passport serves as the primary evidence of your animal's health and well-being. Such documents can be provided by any veterinarian in Russia and include a description, identifying information, and vaccination history. The passport should feature the following information:
Customs and Flight
When passing through customs, present the international veterinary passport and physically display the animal to the inspector to confirm its good health. The animal should be confined in a secure kennel made of sturdy materials with air vents and a leak-proof base.
Requirements for bringing domestic animals to Serbia via air travel are influenced by the air carrier company. Air Serbia, for example, sets the following requirements:
- Transport of animals is contingent on prior approval by the airline. To acquire clearance, you must notify the carrier ahead of time if you plan to travel with a pet. Moreover, there's a limit on the number of animals that can be transported at once, meaning the airline may decline to carry them in certain circumstances.
- Animal transport is provided on a paid basis. To find out more about the pricing schedule, visit the official website.
- Only adults can accompany animals. Unaccompanied children are not allowed to transport animals.
- You can travel with your pet in the cabin if they fit the airline's requirements (the size and weight of allowed personal items); otherwise, they'll have to go in the aircraft's hold.
Transporting cats and dogs via the aircraft cabin is allowed, as long as they have the required documentation as specified above.
Is an EU Pet Passport valid in Serbia?
Yes, it's recognized and may serve as an alternative to Veterinary Certificate Form 5a, which is provided to travelers from Russia in exchange for Veterinary Certificate Form 1. It's crucial to note that European pet passport can only be issued by European veterinary clinics.
Is it permissible to place two animals in the same kennel?
Is it permissible to put two animals in one kennel? Most airlines provide the opportunity to transport two animals in the same kennel, however, there are certain criteria for doing so:
1. The animals must belong to the same species.
2. Both animals must have adequate comfort in the kennel.
3. They must not be aggressive with each other.
Note that in certain cases, both animals must belong to the same litter and certain airlines may have additional restrictions.
How many animals are permitted for shipment to Serbia?
Unrestricted, you can import no more than five animals, given a permit is not required. However, in some situations, restrictions may apply.
What documents are required if Serbia is considered a transit country?
When traveling from Serbia to a different country, it is important to adhere to the regulations for animal transportation to the target country. In such circumstances, you must have all the necessary paperwork in order for both Serbia and your destination country. It must be noted that air carriers are not responsible for a missing entry permit into your future destination.
Rabies Titer Test: Is it necessary?
Although Serbian border officials have shown understanding towards the absence of the rabies antibody titration test, it remains one of the mandatory documents for importing domestic animals to Serbia. It is advised to follow protocol to avoid conflicts and disagreements with the border control officers.